Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Books and Only Children


'I am the product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstair indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes and the noise of wind under the tiles.

Also, of endless books.

There were books in the study, books in the drawing room, books in the cloakroom, books (two deep)in the great bookcase on the landing, books in a bedroom, books piled as high as my shoulder in the cistern attic, books of all kinds reflecting every transient stage of my parent's interests, books readable and unreadable, books suitable for a child and books most emphatically not. Nothing was forbidden me. In the seeminly endless rainy afternoons I took volume after volume from the shelves...'


C.S Lewis, on his childhood

Image: 'The Bookworm'

No comments: