Saturday, December 24, 2005

Gabriel's Message


The angel Gabriel from heaven came
His wings as drifted snow
His eyes as flame
"All Hail" said he "thou lowly maiden Mary,
Most highly favored lady," Gloria!

"For known a blessed mother thou shalt be,
All generations laud and honor thee,
Thy Son shall be Emmanuel,
By seers foretold
Most highly favored lady," Gloria!

Then gentle Mary meekly bowed her head
"To me be as it pleaseth God," she said,
"My soul shall laud and magnify
his holy name."
Most highly favored lady, Gloria!

Of her, Emmanuel, the Christ was born
In Bethlehem all on a Christmas morn
And everyone throughout the world
Forever saved.
Most highly favourd lady, Gloria!

Words by Sabine Baring Gould
Image: Henry Ossawa Tanner
Recorded by the Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia Congregation, among others

3 comments:

Kelly Jo said...

beautiful picture - unusual style

Skyminder said...

That IS a gorgeous picture. Is it one of those Bugeareaux fellows or something? I don't even think I spelled it wright.

Thanx for the beat poem, P. I think you've got a knack. I could set up a supplemental blog for submitted beat poems and my subsequent arrogant criticism. . .

Filia Dei said...

I welcome arrogant criticism, and flagrant flattery, here as well. Thanks to you both, but I would refer Mr S to the final caption which will link him up to interesting articles on the artist, etc...

*sigh* all that work for naught