Thursday, June 30, 2005

Victory

The real conflict is the inner conflict. Beyond armies of occupation and the hecatombs of extermination camps, there are two irreconcilable enemies in the depth of every soul: good and evil, sin and love. And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?

No one in the world can change Truth.

What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it.
--Saint Maximilian Kolbe in the last issue of the Knight, which earned him prisoner number 16670 at Auschwitz.

2 comments:

Kelly Jo said...

The faith, trust, and certainty of the saints is always so inspiring. I pray that I may live and die with their conviction in the truth and their eagerness to spread it, even at the cost of their lives.

Filia Dei said...

I think I know what you mean: it's a rather strident martial challenge they issue, isn't it?

Thankfully our awesome God also has a sense of humor. A recent example? I've always wanted to have the saintly gift of Prophecy, and yesterday he kindly defined 'prophet' for me: 'one who speaks the truth always'. Of course, that made me think of Kolbe, but in a little more practical way: I know I can be disingenuine quite often, especially in converstion when I'm trying to impress. Or on blogs, for that matter.

I hadn't thought of the Kolbe quite that way, though, until tonight. So, thanks to you, I've tacked the battle standard back up, and I'm sure the adventure will continue!