Thursday, June 23, 2005

Mission

"We, the men and women of the third millennium, we too need you, Risen Lord! Stay with us now, and until the end of time. Grant that the material progress of peoples may never obscure the spiritual values which are the soul of their civilization. Sustain us, we pray, on our journey. In you do we believe, in you do we hope, for you alone have the words of eternal life (cf. Jn 6:68). Mane nobiscum, Domine! Alleluia!"
John Paul II
Ubi Et Orbi, Easter Sunday, 2005

Since I was in St Peter's square that day, I've been brought to reconsider exactly what effect spiritual values have on 'material progress', and what amazingly practical actions John Paul was calling for. If the Lord truly is with us, it will ultimatly affect the simplest things, like how we do our dishes and decorate our homes. If this site, eclectic and spontaneous as it will surely be, can provide resources for those who celebrate the spiritual which informs the material, can recognize that what we are searching to express in our arts, language, and actions is a reality greater than any of them, I believe it will be truly embracing the Third Millenium manifesto.

I also believe it will be quite impossible for it to be academic and serious! It is quite easy to say that I want to share here the joy that a specific instance of beauty brings me, and quite subjective as well. I do not expect you to agree with my specifics, but to at least to laugh with me, and hopefully to be stimulated to go on and find the practical applications for your own vocare.

My mission, then is not to provide the quest, the map, or the compass: that has already been done by much abler hands. My mission is to provide a bit of waybread for the journey.

God Speed.

No comments: